Monday 20 August 2012

A bit of frustration, but still a great day - 2


This is the second part of this blogpost: http://thedailydaysofanasperger.blogspot.nl/2012/08/a-bit-of-frustration-but-still-great.html

After that, we went to the bakery museum. Seeing I have a certificate for ‘assistant baker’, this was right up my alley. In fact, it was my idea to go there! I have been there once before (my sister just said I went there more often, but was too young to remember it), but this was at least 10 years ago, if not 15… Almost everything was still as I remembered. Seeing I have an associative memory, this took me right back to the time I was a child and walked in here. I still loved it just as much as I did back then. Maybe even more, seeing I understand a lot more about baking now.

After some looking around, we were watching a baker create some bonbons. There was a group of people with children in front of us. While we were watching, someone announced that the group could go and decorate some cookies. I did this at this museum when I was young too and I couldn’t wait to relive this, so I immediately jumped up and asked if I could join too, or if it was just for kids. They smiled and said I could join too if I wanted. I felt like a little kid in a candy store! My ex and I sat down and we had a lot of fun decorating our cookies (of course, mine looked the neatest. I liked his cookie too though). The group that was there, was a very nice group too. The children were very well-behaved and we were all simply having fun.

 
After this, I asked the baker if he could maybe show me how he makes his marzipan roses, as I’m still struggling with those (I know, I know, shame on me). He was amazing! He didn’t simply show me how to make a rose, but he went well beyond that by showing me a lot of other techniques too. I can’t wait to try these things out! He also told us that it was time for him to show how to make ice cream old-fashioned style and asked if we wanted to come and watch. Of course we did! Because he now knew that I studied for assistant baker, he started quizzing me on if I knew what he did wrong and why he did certain things. I never made ice cream before, so I couldn’t answer anything which was pretty shameful, but I still learned a lot from him.

When we were done with looking around, we had another look around in the museum and then went to the entrance to buy a big bag (not just for me! For the rest of the family at home too!) full of old-fashioned candy. I love this kind of candy and I know they love it at home too, so I just couldn’t leave without it.

We still had plenty of time left before the steam tram was to ride out, so we decided to have a look around town. My ex (I hate that word, it sounds so negative! But we’re really getting along very well! But friend doesn’t seem to catch the feeling either… Love isn’t it anymore either… Do you guys know a better name to call it, without having to write his name here?) bought himself some nice merchandise in one of the stores. After that we had some lunch.

At this point it was time to ride the steam tram! This was an amazing experience. It looked a lot like a steam train (although the tram driver kept insisting it was a tram), so we were both very happy. We could decide for ourselves where we wanted to sit. First class, second class, on the balcony… It was all allowed! Of course we were in first class and frequently got onto the balcony. We just kept switching between these places. I have no idea why there were actually only a few people in first class.


On the steam tram, the conductor had to wait at the balcony we were standing on until the tram stopped for a minute, so he could transfer wagons. (The parts on where you can transfer wagons obviously wasn’t closed off on this old tram, so it wasn’t safe to transfer while we were still riding) While he was waiting, we told him that my ex is a train enthusiast and that I love steam trains. This might not have been a train officially, but it came really close. This started a nice conversation between the conductor and us, in which we learned that we were supposed to go 30 km/h (18.64 mph), but that the owner of the tram was driving and that he liked to go 40 km/h (24.85 mph). This made me smile, since I love speed and this was speed in one of my favourite types of transportation!

We had a short conversation with the person selling the drinks too, since they had to wait on the balcony too. Normally I don’t just randomly start a conversation with a stranger who I know nothing about, but I was in a very good mood (even a bit of a Kansas!) and the conversation also happened quite naturally, as they were just standing there next to us.

After the tram ride, the day was over. Having to say goodbye to my ex and to have the day end made me a little bit sad for a while, but at the same time I was happy to have had such a great day. My ex and I promised each other that we would meet up some other time again, as we can still have a lot of fun together. We might have lost the love we had, but we didn’t lose each other, which is a great thing. I loved this day!

1 comment: